Monday, May 5, 2008

Work Permits in Mexico for Belizeans

- Press Release, Embassy of Mexico to Belize, Belmopan, 29 April 2008. – The Government of Mexico recognizes that labor force is needed in the southern states of Mexico, and reiterates its commitment to protect the human and labor rights of Belizeans that at the moment work or wish to work in Mexico.

As a result, the government of Mexico has initiated a program to facilitate to Belizeans a permit as temporary border workers (FMTF), which will allow them to work during a year in any legal activity in the Mexican states of Quintana Roo, Campeche, Tabasco or Chiapas.

Belizean applicants should first hold a job letter from a Mexican employer that states their salary then they will be able to submit their application with the following requirements at the Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM), Calzada Centenario 582, Colonia Isabel Tenorio, Chetumal, Quintana Roo, Mexico, from Monday to Friday from 9a.m. to 2p.m.

1. Job letter of Mexican employer stating salary.
2. Be above 16 years old.
3. Valid Belizean passport + one photocopy.
4. Two 1"x 1¼ inch size pictures (either in color or in black and white).
5. Complete FMTF application form (available at the INM office).
6. Receipt of FMTF fee + one photocopy (FMTF will be free in case of earning the minimum wage in Mexico).

In case the application is approved, the FMTF will be issued immediately and will allow working for one year. It also entitles the holder to apply for permission to their spouses and children as economic dependants according to the rules of the INM.

Further information on requirements for FMTF can be obtained by calling at telephone 223-0193 or 223-0194 in Belize City between 8:30 and 17:00 hours from Monday to Friday or ask directly at the INM office in Chetumal.

No comments: